Setting up 2 routers in series?

woodfoot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:31    Post subject: Setting up 2 routers in series? Reply with quote
Hi

I'm looking for some help with my router settings and network.

I have 2 D-Link 615 routers and I'm using Orange Broadband with Livebox.

I would like to set the two D-Links up in series via ethernet with the first as the main router and the second as an wired/wireless access point. The D-Links are flashed with D4 and D2 respectively

I have the first D-Link router connected to the Livebox and is connected fine. I don't want to have to change this as it's taken me 3 days to get it up and running. I followed these instructions to get it working.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-router/39560-new-dlink-sky-router-connecting-dir615-ddwrt.html

The second router is in another room and is connected to the LAN port of the first router via ethernet. Connected to the LAN of that router is a Mac G5 which I use as a server for my home network it contains nearly all my files and a huge iTunes library. I need these to be available to all the computers on the network.

Could someone tell me the best way to set this up?

I did have this working with the factory firmware but I heard it would be worth updating to this firmware as I would like to make the network [or at least the itunes library] available when I'm away from home either via VPN or just port forwarding. This is something I will do after it is set up, but I thought it was probably worth mentioning now.

Thanks in advance for any help
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes in my signature click on "Linking Routers" and follow the guide for "Wireless Access Point".

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
woodfoot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi

Thanks for the response. I actually found that after a google search and I followed these instructions

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

It does seem to have worked but it is really slow. I can't stream my iTunes lIbrary and the wireless won't stay connected.

If i was to return the second router to its factory firmware [as I know that worked] would I still be able to reap the benefits of the main router such as the VPN etc?

Cheers
woodfoot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah I seem to have the wired connection working OK.

I plugged the cable in the LAN instead of the WAN on the second router and I now have internet on the G5 and the files on it are available to the other machines on the network.

However I can't get a connection on wireless on the second router. It shows up but has a self assigned IP address. I'm guessing here but does that mean its not getting the DHCP from the main router?

The G5 has a static IP so I presume thats why it is connected. I tried wirelessly connecting to the second router with a static IP but had no luck
thefix0r
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 21:39    Post subject: simple Reply with quote
yeah just disable DHCP on the wireless router after youve set the wireles up how you want it, security ect, then disable dhcp.

And connect it to your "primary" router, with the dhcp server, through a normal LAN port, dont use the WAN port on the wireless router.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: